Thursday, September 22, 2011

Aww, I'm such a tourist.

Time is fickle. One week here? Pshaw. Try ages in a blink of an eye. Three months is nothing, but if each week continues to be full of so many demands, lessons learned, and serendipitous occurrences, I will not come home the same girl. And that’s the point. Even though it is incredibly hard, I really like it here. This is good for me.
Last week, the exchange students in my program were provided with a day trip to a few nearby tourist areas. We went to Arles, Saintes-Marie-de-la-Mer, and les Baux de Provence. Honestly, I wasn’t really impressed with Arles. It had some really cute streets and a neat ancient arena where they still hold bull fights. But it was quite the cliché tourist spot and I wasn’t into it.
I must admit I didn’t see much of Saintes-Marie-de-la-Mer since a few of us spent most of our time there at a restaurant, but of course I enjoyed it simply because it was on the sea. Also very touristy though. It had a small, but nice beach. We ate some of the most delicious mussels there. 
They tasted even better than they looked.

 
Les Baux de Provence was really quite fascinating to me. It is the ruins of an old castle, which in Medieval times was a powerful feudal stronghold. This was by far the most touristy part of the day tour, because everything has been renovated to greet vacationers in Hawaiian shirts with Kodiak-camera-adorned necks. But I rather enjoyed seeing the historical connection. And it was just a fun place to goof off with lots of stairs and rocks to climb up. It was quite picturesque. 
Overview of most of the ruins.




The road that led up to le chateau.
 
I also had the opportunity to walk around Marseille for a couple hours this last weekend. We didn’t do much exploring, just to a nearby park and to the beach. But it was “Fete du Vente” (Wind Festival) the beach, so there were tons of kites. Mother Nature was definitely doing her part in providing the wind support. And of course, the highlight for me was that I got to see my beloved sea. 
Entre ciel et mer, "between sky and sea."
 
I am truly blessed to be here. I am surrounded by so many opportunities, so many beautiful places and beautiful people. I hope everyone feels this feeling at least once in their life. I deeply appreciate all the love that has been shown to me. 
There is more to come, mes amies! Write me! Email me! Love love love! 




2 comments:

  1. Trying not be jealous, trying not be jealous, trying not... Oh! Too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore you! You are beautiful my friend.

    ReplyDelete