Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Prequel

Over a hundred years ago, there was a prison located in Missouri ironically named Liberty Jail. It measured 14x14 feet, the ceiling was 6 feet high, and it had two small holes for windows. It was here that Joseph Smith and five other men very much worth their salt were incarcerated for several months in 1839. There is much to be taken from this portion of church history, such as how invincible the faith of those men are and how Heavenly Father will pull us out of the darkest depths if we put our trust in Him. However, what I would like to extract from this specific 6 month period is a miniscule tidbit about Alexander McRae. He was one of those valiant prisoners, and he happened to be 6 1/2 feet tall. You may recall the jail cell's ceiling reached only about six feet, so for six months straight, he was unable to stand to his full height.

Alexander McRae did not choose to be in that jail, but so often we place ourselves in similar confines. We do not allow ourselves to straighten our backs and extend ourselves to our full stature. We create for ourselves barricades, made out of our insecurities and comfort zones, and we subconsciously stunt our growth. However, in life there are no glass ceilings. We aren't born with limits. Those are placed upon as we grow with parents who tell us "don't touch the burner" and teachers who don't let us play outside the fence.These are set in place to protect us, but we can overprotect ourselves and prevent crucial self growth and improvement if we dwell on what we can't do. Life has much more in store for us. Spencer W. Kimball said "One must live, not only exist; he must do, not merely be; he must grow, not just vegetate." To be well-rounded, we've gotta get outside of that box we've meticulously drawn around ourselves.

So what's my point? It's more for me than anyone else, really, because in a week, I will be in France at last. My hope is becoming a reality. But it is so far out of my comfort zone! In my twenty years of life, I have lived within the same 60 mile radius. In a week, I will be going alone to a foreign speaking country halfway around the world, where I will stay for the next three months. It's something I could easily say "I can't do this." It's terrifying, and if you look at it at some angles, fairly irrational. But it's the journey I'm taking. To experience and learn and be in awkward situations and laugh and meet and make memories worth having.

Thank you for your prayers, love, and support! It means the world to me. I will miss you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment