Friday, September 16, 2011

Bienvenue à Aix!

After 12 hours of flights, 10 hours of layovers, and a much needed shower, I found myself sitting in my new place of residence and staring at the wall, astonished at my current situation. You’re in France, Becca. You’re 5000 miles away from everything you know, and finally where you’ve hoped to be for years. What do you do now?

In case you were wondering where I am, I'm about 20 minutes from Marseille.

I’ve spent the following days getting my life here in order, tracking down my advisor, locating the church and grocery store, trying to make friends, and exploring the town. Fortunately, I had been given a map and my mother’s keen sense of direction. Chelsea J was right at how often I use that map! Some interesting things about Aix: all of the streets here are named after famous people (Victor Hugo, Jules Ferry, Napoleon Bonaparte) or dates (Rue du 4 septembre), and there are very few street signs. Many of the names of streets are posted on the sides of buildings. Maybe it’s just Aix, but it seems like the French like their fountains. I pass at least three on my way to church.  The most prominent fountain in Aix is called the Rotonde. It’s the main roundabout in the city and I pass there often. It has the l’Office de Tourisme, making it quite a touristy area.  It is also where my cell phone store is located, a wonderful little fruit and veggie shop, and the ATM. 

Elyssa H would love all these roundabouts.
These streets are beautiful! I love walking here.
 
As for where I’m living, I have a solo room with my own closet-sized bathroom. I’m on the 3rd floor (4th floor by American standards), so I have a nice view, and there’s also a shared kitchen on each floor. I’m pretty fond of it. Plus, I’m about a 10 minute walk from my campus.

It takes a lot of energy to try to communicate. My French is so weak, but it has improved a bit after being here just a few days. It’s quite a challenge, but I am enjoying it. Most people are very patient, and fortunately I’m in an area where not everyone knows English. In some parts of France, if you try to communicate in French, they recognize you’re American and start speaking to you in English. This has only happened to me a few times, and sometimes it is much appreciated when you honestly can’t tell what they are saying. But I appreciate the patience of those who suffer my attempts to speak their precious language. I would also like to thank Glenna T for the use of her pocket French-English dictionary. It’s gotten me out of a couple tight spots.

I’ve had a pretty rough few days, what with jet lag, the language barrier, and feeling homesick. But I recognize how incredibly blessed I am to both be here and for all the support I have back home. I guess sometimes you have to leave the country to really understand the depth of the blessings you have.  Thank you all for the wonderful advice that I have received from the Romneys, Heather B, Joseph H, Emily G, Chelsea J, Jon W, Melissa M, Ethan G, Desiree M, and countless others for the prayers and encouragement.  

A plus tard!  

P.S. I love snail mail, so for all those kind souls out there who would like to write me, my mailing address is listed on the right hand tool bar. ------------>
pretty please? :)

3 comments:

  1. So, what advice that people haven given you about going to France come to pass, or not come to pass?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i DO love the roundabout, buuuuuut not as much as i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dust, I will address that question later when I have a better idea of the answer. :)

    ReplyDelete